Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Miriam Santiago loses her chance to be the next Supreme Court Justice (whew!)



In a bright yellow dress, Santiago blew into the Senate like Supertyphoon “Reming” yesterday, and delivered a scathing privilege speech attacking the JBC and the Supreme Court.

I’m not angry, Mr. President, I am not angry,” she began, addressing Senate President Manuel Villar.

I am irate. I am foaming at the mouth. I’m homicidal. I’m suicidal. I’m humiliated, debased, degraded. And not only that, I feel like throwing up to be living my middle years in a country of this nature. I am nauseated. I spit in the face of Chief Justice Artemio Panganiban and his cohorts in the Supreme Court.”

Only minutes earlier, Santiago, unaware the JBC had decided to drop her nomination, learned of it when the Inquirer contacted her while she was in her car on the way to the Senate.

“Is that so?” she said.

“I will say that I resent it very deeply. I take it very personally and I will see to it that while I remain in public office that every member of the JBC shall eventually be held to account for their partisanship. For this reason, I will participate in the Con-ass (constituent assembly) for the main purpose of abolishing the JBC for corruption,” she told the Inquirer.

If that's a person who isn't angry, then I don't know what an angry person is.

FYI, Associate Justice Puno is now Acting Supreme Court Justice.

Puno, Quisumbing, Ynares-Santiago and Sandoval-Gutierrez are the only ones in the running for SC Chief Justice, Carpio has been removed from the JBC shortlist with Santiago.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hindi lang ako galit! Gusto ko pang mangangagat!" hehehe...

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI, just hours ago, Former Associate Justice Puno is now Chief Justice Puno. He took his oath in Malacanang just hours ago.

When asked, Press Sec Ermita said that the President does not want to have a vacancy in the post, since Chief Justice Panganiban was effectively resigned as of this morning.

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home